A new perspective

Monday, October 31, 2005

Pumpkins And Candy in the Dark

Good Evening my technologically connected friends,

Today is October 31, to some of you this means Halloween, to others it is simply an other day. I'm sending this message to all. In order to cater to each group I say happy Halloween to some and offer a hollowed eve to others. With some of you I stay in constant contact, others I have met only a couple times or once. Still others,-who will remain nameless-it seems has dropped me from their social lists faster than a rotten pumpkin.

Atmosphericly this day is framed by nothing more than the dark, costumes, pranks and overly expensive candy. It is a day or night rather, that is illuminated, not by lamppost but by jackal lanterns ;so that in the darkness ,instead of white or yellow of fluorescent, you see faded orange. I imagine in some neighborhoods the sound of cars roaring up and down the streets have been traded for the hollow echoes of feet, hails of children empowered by nightly gales. Door bells that refuse to cease until night exchanges for dark day--prank or plea, you'll have to open the door to see. Streets will fill and bowls will lighten; boys will shriek and girls will frighten. Some will wait to bestow, others will come to be given, so be ready those who wish to stay and wish not to play, you will be besieged on this lantern lit night by children and by those who still claim to be. So whether you pass the night in play or you stay guarding the coveted bowl; or maybe you pass the night away with a little literacy from a guy named Ray--who likes this occasion quite a lot. So as you survey the children go, seeking what they know to find and leaving their cares behind to be picked up the next day. For this night they can break away and let fall the worries into the dark, forgotten. Well this discourse of nights not seen by the writer's eye has come to an end. Accomplishing its purpose: bleeding me of this nightly whim, but I do know something to this end: I shall send my kids into that night fearing not the tainted, for my children need to know this dark beyond the window. Their echoes of glee will be added to the chorus. For why fear pumpkins and candy in the dark?

Farewell to October and to you, my reader and friend

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home